Code compliant tile backer application
- Gypsum backer board for tile applications in high-moisture areas.
- Acrylic-coated facer eliminates the need for a moisture barrier.
- Type X core is fire resistant and is an approved component in UL fire-rated designs.
Gold Bond® eXP® Fire-Shield® Tile Backer is manufactured with an enhanced moisture- and mold-resistant core encased in specially designed coated glass mat facers. The facer is then coated with a specially formulated acrylic coating, which provides superior protection against moisture and humidity. It provides an integral water barrier, eliminating the need for a separate water barrier. It is available in a Type X core.
eXP Fire-Shield Tile Backer is an acrylic-coated, moisture- and mold-resistant gypsum panel specially designed for use as a substrate for tile applications in high-moisture rooms, including showers, bathrooms, indoor swimming pools, laundry rooms, and kitchens.
Use eXP Fire-Shield Tile Backer as a code-compliant substrate for tile and other finishes in both wet and non-wet areas, areas of high humidity and fire-rated assemblies. It is ideally suited for interior walls and ceilings.
For a 1/2" regular core product that is not used in UL fire rated designs use Gold Bond® eXP® Tile Backer.
Check the Fire and Safety Information for a more complete explanation of how fire resistance ratings work.
- Use in both wood- and metal-framed construction for interior wall and ceiling and countertop assemblies as a substrate for tile and other finishes.
- Approved for use in high-moisture environments such as baths, showers, indoor pools, kitchens and laundry rooms.
RESISTS MOISTURE AND MOLD BETTER
- Acrylic-coated fiberglass front facer provides an integral water barrier, eliminating the need for a separate water barrier.
- Resists the growth of mold per ASTM D3273 with a score of 10, the best possible score.
PROVIDES ADDITIONAL FIRE RESISTANCE
- Features a Type X core making it more fire resistant than ordinary wallboard.
- Approved component in UL fire-rated designs.
- Fire-resistant material with non-combustible gypsum core helps protect framing elements, even when cladding is combustible.
INSTALLS FAST AND EASY
- Coated glass mat facers for easy handling.
- Integrated water barrier.
OFFERS SUPERIOR DURABILITY
- Dimensionally stable under changes in temperature and relative humidity.
Products that suit any project criteria
Mold & Moisture Resistant
Product details and technical documentation
Tips & Tools
Detailed information to support your next project
Design & Resource Center
Browse our digital library of tools, resources, and service options to support your team.Learn More
Gold Bond experts are ready to discuss project and product needs to meet your goals.Expert Connection
Need Technical Information?
National Gypsum Company is the exclusive service provider for products manufactured by Gold Bond Building Products, LLC.