Gold Bond® eXP® Fire-Shield® Tile Backer
A code compliant substrate for tile and other finishes in both wet and non-wet areas, areas of high humidity and fire-rated assemblies (5/8” Type X).
Code compliant tile backer application
Approved component in specific UL fire-rated designs
- Gypsum backer board for tile applications in high-moisture areas.
- Acrylic-coated facer eliminates the need for a moisture barrier.
- Ideally suited for a variety of interior applications.
Use Gold Bond® eXP® Tile Backer as a substrate for tile applications in high moisture areas, including showers, bathrooms, indoor swimming pools, laundry rooms, and kitchens. It is also a code-compliant substrate for tile and other finishes in both wet and non-wet areas, areas of high humidity, and fire-rated assemblies (5/8” Type X). It is ideally suited for a variety of interior applications.
eXP® Tile Backer consists of a moisture- and mold-resistant gypsum core encased in an acrylic-coated, specially designed fiberglass mat on the face, back, and sides. It is available in either a Regular or Type X core. The glass mat is folded around the long edges to reinforce and protect the core.
- 1/2” (12.7 mm) / Regular
- 5/8” (15.9 mm) / Type X
PROVIDES FIRE RESISTANCE
- Fire-resistant material with a non-combustible gypsum core helps protect framing elements, even when cladding is combustible.
- 5/8 in. (15.9 mm) eXP Tile Backer is an approved component in specific UL fire-rated designs.
RESISTS MOISTURE AND MOLD BETTER
- Acrylic-coated fiberglass front facer provides an integral water barrier, eliminating the need for a separate water barrier.
- Resists the growth of mold per ASTM D3273 with a score of 10, the best possible score.
INSTALLS FAST AND EASY
- Coated glass mat facers for easy handling.
- Integrated water barrier.
OFFERS SUPERIOR DURABILITY
- Dimensionally stable under changes in temperature and relative humidity.
Gold Bond® eXP® Fire-Shield® Tile Backer has achieved UL GREENGUARD Gold Certification.
Products that suit any project criteria
Mold & Moisture Resistant
Tips & Tools
Detailed information to support your next project
Product details and technical documentation
Design & Resource Center
Browse our digital library of tools, resources, and service options to support your team.Learn More
Gold Bond experts are ready to discuss project and product needs to meet your goals.Expert Connection
Need Technical Information?
National Gypsum Company is the exclusive service provider for products manufactured by Gold Bond Building Products, LLC.