Tapered edge gypsum plaster base
- Suitable for walls and ceilings in fire-rated construction
- Provides a smooth durable base for plaster.
- Type X core is fire resistant and an approved component in UL fire-rated designs.
Gold Bond® Kal-Kore® Fire-Shield® Plaster Base is a tapered edge gypsum plaster base with a 100% recycled absorptive face paper surface designed to permit rapid trowel application of Kal-Kote® Basecoat, Uni-Kal®, and X-KALibur® veneer plasters as well as Gypsolite® Plaster. Use Kal-Kore Fire-Shield Plaster Base in specific fire-rated assemblies.
Kal-Kore Plaster Base and veneer plaster systems may be specified for virtually all types of partition and ceiling constructions, including wood or steel framing, furring and masonry. For both residential and commercial buildings, both two-coat and on-coat veneer plaster systems produce a wall more resistant to nail-pops.
GridMarX® are printed on the paper surface to help installers instantly identify stud locations and make accurate cuts without having to pencil in or snap chalk lines.
Check the Fire and Safety Information for a more complete explanation of how fire resistance ratings work.
- For walls and ceilings in fire-rated construction where the framing members are spaced 24” o.c.
- Provides a strong bond for the application of Kal-Kote Basecoat, Uni-Kal, and X-KALibur veneer plasters as well as Gypsolite Plaster.
- Provides the appearance and surface of conventional plaster at lower cost.
- Provides a smooth and durable base for plaster.
- High resistance to cracking, nail-popping, impact and abrasion failure.
PROVIDES ADDITIONAL FIRE RESISTANCE
- Features a Type X core making it more fire resistant than ordinary wallboard.
- Approved component in UL fire-rated designs.
- UL Classified for fire-resistance, surface burning characteristics and non-combustibility.
- The gypsum core will not support combustion or transmit temperatures greatly in excess of 212°F (100°C) until completely calcined, a slow process.
FAST AND EASY INSTALLATION
- Features GridMarX guide marks on the board to allow for faster and more accurate installation.
- Save time and money with MaX 12® and MaX 16® optimized fastener patterns to achieve 1-hour fire ratings using fewer fasteners.
- Rapid installation reduces overall construction time.
- Expansion and contraction under normal atmospheric changes are negligible.
- Tapered edges allow for easily concealed joints using paper tape and joint compound.
LOW EMITTING MATERIALS
- Achieves UL GREENGUARD Gold Certification for low chemical emissions into indoor air during product usage. For more information, visit: ul.com/gg
Products that suit any project criteria
Product details and technical documentation
Tips & Tools
Helpful resources for your next project
Design & Resource Center
Browse our digital library of tools, resources, and service options to support your team.Learn More
Gold Bond experts are ready to discuss project and product needs to meet your goals.Expert Connection
Need Technical Information?
National Gypsum Company is the exclusive service provider for products manufactured by Gold Bond Building Products, LLC.