For single- or multi-layer construction in fire-tested assemblies
Mold-, mildew-, moisture- resistant
- Tapered edges for seamless joints
- Type C core is more resistant to fire than the ordinary wallboard
- Moisture and mold-resistant for added durability
XP® Fire-Shield® Gypsum Board with Sporgard® was developed as an improved moisture resistant board, offering the same advantages of a traditional moisture resistant board with added mold resistance in the core and paper. XP Fire-Shield Gypsum Board panels consist of a specially treated, fire-resistant, Type C gypsum core encased in a heavy mold/mildew/moisture resistant, 100% recycled, National Gypsum PURPLE® paper on the face side and a heavy, mold/mildew/moisture resistant, 100% recycled, gray paper on the back side.
XP Fire-Shield Gypsum Board was designed to provide extra protection against mold and mildew compared to standard gypsum board products. The face paper is folded around the long edges to reinforce and protect the core, and the ends are square-cut and finished smooth. Long edges of the panels are tapered.
XP Fire-Shield Gypsum Board features a Type C core to provide additional fire resistance ratings when used in tested systems.
XP Fire-Shield C Gypsum Board Panels have a specially formulated Type C core to achieve superior performance when used in specific fire-rated assemblies where the weight and number of gypsum board layers are a concern.
Check the Fire and Safety Information for a more complete explanation of how fire resistance ratings work.
- Resists the growth of mold per ASTM G 21 with a score of 0, the best possible score.
- Resists the growth of mold per ASTM D 3273 with a score of 10, the best possible score.
- Can be used on ceilings.
- Lightweight, cost-efficient material that readily accepts a wide range of decorative finishes.
- XP Fire-Shield Gypsum Board is moisture resistant and can be used as a tile backer board in dry areas or areas with limited water exposure such as toilet/sink areas and wall and ceiling areas above tile in tubs and showers.
- The gypsum core will not support combustion or transmit temperatures greatly in excess of 212°F (100°C) until completely calcined, a slow process.
- UL Classified for fire resistance, surface burning characteristics, and noncombustibility.
- Scores and snaps easily, no special handling requirements.
- Less than 5% water absorption per ASTM C 473.
Gold Bond® XP® Fire-Shield® C™ 1/2” Gypsum Board has achieved GREENGUARD Gold Certification.
Products that suit any project criteria
Mold & Moisture Resistant, Drywall Panels
Tips & Tools
Helpful resources for your next project
Product details and technical documentation.
Designs & Resources
Browse our digital library of tools, resources, and service options to support your team.Learn More
Gold Bond experts are ready to discuss project and product needs to meet your goals.Expert Connection
Need Technical Information?
National Gypsum Company is the exclusive service provider for products manufactured by Gold Bond Building Products, LLC.