Single layer multi-hour assemblies
- Suitable for single-layer steel stud and cavity shaftwall systems.
- Type X core is fire resistant and an approved component in UL fire-rated designs.
- Reduced labor and material costs by using fewer layers (up to 10%).
Gold Bond® Ultra-Shield FS® Gypsum Board is 3/4“ thick and consists of a fire-resistant gypsum core encased in heavy, natural-finish, 100% recycled paper on the face and back sides. The face paper is folded around the long edges to reinforce and protect the core, and the ends are square-cut and finished smooth.
Use it for 2- and 3-hour wall partitions, and 2-hour cavity shaftwall assemblies to reduce material and installation labor.
The Ultra-Shield core allows one layer of 3/4“ Ultra-Shield FS to replace two layers of 5/8“ Type X, or two layers of 3/4“ Ultra-Shield FS to replace three layers of 5/8“ Type X, in specific UL assemblies.
GridMarX® are printed on the paper surface to help installers instantly identify stud locations and make accurate cuts without having to pencil in or snap chalk lines.
For a 3/4” product that also provides mold and moisture resistance use Gold Bond® XP ® Ultra-Shield FS® Gypsum Board.
Check the Fire and Safety Information for a more complete explanation of how fire resistance ratings work.
- For single-layer - steel stud and cavity shaftwall systems. The greater thickness provides increased resistance to fire and reduced sound transmission vs. single layer of 5/8” Type X.
PROVIDES ADDITIONAL FIRE RESISTANCE
- Features a Type X core making it more fire resistant than ordinary wallboard.
- Approved component in UL fire-rated designs.
- UL classified for fire resistance, surface burning characteristics and non-combustibility.
- The gypsum core will not support combustion or transmit temperatures greatly in excess of 212°F (100°C) until completely calcined, a slow process.
FAST AND EASY TO INSTALL
- Reduces labor and material costs by using fewer layers (up to 10%).
- Features GridMarX guide marks on the board to allow for faster and more accurate installation.
- Save time and money with MaX 12® and MaX 16® optimized fastener patterns to achieve 1-hour fire ratings using fewer fasteners.
- Cost efficient material that readily accepts a wide range of decorative finishes.
- Cuts easily for quick installation, permitting painting or other decoration and the installation of metal or wood trim almost immediately.
- Dimensionally stable under changes in temperature and relative humidity and resists warping, rippling, buckling, and sagging.
- Qualifies as a low-emitting material per California Section 01350 and CDPH Standard Method, v1.2 For more information, visit: calrecycle.ca.gov
- Achieves UL GREENGUARD Gold Certification for low chemical emissions into indoor air during product usage. For more information, visit: ul.com/gg
Products that suit any project criteria
Drywall Panels, Shaftliner
Product details and technical documentation
Tips & Tools
Helpful resources for your next project
Design & Resource Center
Browse our digital library of tools, resources, and service options to support your team.Learn More
Gold Bond experts are ready to discuss project and product needs to meet your goals.Expert Connection
Need Technical Information?
National Gypsum Company is the exclusive service provider for products manufactured by Gold Bond Building Products, LLC.