Sound Control and Damping
- For interior walls where sound transmission between rooms is a concern.
- Provides high-rated Sound Class Transmission (STC) values.
- Mold and moisture resistant, provides extra protection against mold and mildew.
Gold Bond® SoundBreak XP Wall® Board consists of two pieces of high-density, mold-, mildew- and moisture-resistant gypsum board, with a specially designed PURPLE® paper, laminated together with a sound-damping viscoelastic polymer. This acoustically enhanced, fire-resistant gypsum core is encased in heavy, 100% recycled paper on the face and back sides and offers superior abrasion, mold, mildew and moisture resistance.
Use it for high-rated Sound Transmission Class (STC) wall and ceiling assemblies, where sound transmission between rooms or dwelling units is a concern.
GridMarX® are printed on the paper surface to help installers instantly identify stud locations and make accurate cuts without having to pencil in or snap chalk lines.
Combine with Gold Bond® SoundBreak XP Ceiling® Board to reduce sound between floor-ceiling assemblies.
- Use it for interior wall assemblies, where sound transmission between rooms or dwelling units is a concern.
- 5/8 in. (15.9 mm) SoundBreak XP Wall Board may be used where Type X Gypsum Board is specified in fire-rated assemblies.
REDUCES SOUND TRANSMISSION
- Has a layer of viscoelastic damping polymer sandwiched between two pieces of high-density, mold-resistant gypsum board.
- Provides high-rated Sound Class Transmission (STC) values per an independent third-party acoustical laboratory using ASTM E90 test procedures.
WORKS FOR INTERIOR PROJECTS
- Use in a single layer or as a component of multi-layer wall assemblies.
- Thinner than traditionally built high-STC wall partitions, increasing usable floor space.
- Available in 1/2" and 5/8" (5/8" features a fire-resistant Type X core and is UL Classified).
INHIBITS MOLD GROWTH
- Helps inhibit mold growth with the highest possible score on mold tests (ASTM D3273 and ASTM G21).
- Features SPORGARD® technology with extra mold-inhibiting properties.
RESISTS MOISTURE BETTER
- Fights the effects of moisture before damage can occur.
- Dimensionally stable product with negligible expansion and contraction under normal atmospheric conditions.
- 5/8” SoundBreak XP Wall Board features a Type X core that is more fire resistant than ordinary wallboard.
- 5/8” SoundBreak XP Wall Board is an approved component in UL fire-rated assemblies.
- The gypsum core will not support combustion or transmit temperatures greatly in excess of 212°F (100°C) until completely calcined, a slow process.
INSTALLS FAST AND EASY
- Features GridMarX guide marks on the board to allow for faster and more accurate installation.
- Save time and money with MaX 12® and MaX 16® optimized fastener patterns for 5/8” Fire-Shield products to achieve 1-hour fire ratings using fewer fasteners.
- Installs like traditional gypsum board, without requiring additional clips and/or channels.
- Finishes and decorates as easily as standard gypsum board.
- Can cut by scoring deeply from both sides before snapping or by using a hand/power saw.
Products that suit any project criteria
Acoustical, Drywall Panels
Product details and technical documentation
Tips & Tools
Helpful resources for your next project
Design & Resource Center
Browse our digital library of tools, resources, and service options to support your team.Learn More
Gold Bond experts are ready to discuss project and product needs to meet your goals.Expert Connection
Need Technical Information?
National Gypsum Company is the exclusive service provider for products manufactured by Gold Bond Building Products, LLC.