Sound Control/Sound Dampening
Improve the acoustical performance of an existing wall assembly
Gold Bond® SoundBreak XP Retrofit® Board consists of a high-density mold-, mildew- and moisture-resistant gypsum board with specially designed PURPLE® paper on the front and a sound- damping, viscoelastic polymer adhered to the back paper. This acoustically enhanced, fire-resistance gypsum board is encased in heavy paper that is 100-percent recycled on both sides and offers superior abrasion, mold-, mildew- and moisture-resistance.
- Use SoundBreak XP Retrofit to improve the acoustical performance of an existing wall assembly, and to achieve a higher Sound Transmission Class (STC) rating for existing interior gypsum board walls where sound transmission has become a concern.
- Install 5/16 in. (7.9 mm) thick SoundBreak XP Retrofit over existing interior gypsum board walls in residential, multifamily and commercial applications for additional sound damping between rooms or dwelling units.
- When installing over an existing interior wall assembly, SoundBreak XP Retrofit enhances Sound Transmission Class (STC) values per an independent third-party acoustical laboratory using ASTM E90 test procedures.
- Achieves increased STC values in a thinner wall assembly, increasing usable floor space.
- Superior sound damping, cost-efficient material that finishes easily and decorates in the same manner as standard gypsum board.
- For speed of installation and lower installation costs, vertical board joints do not require acoustical sealant.
- Heavy abrasion-resistant paper and dense core provide greater resistance to surface abuse when tested in accordance with ASTM C1629.
- Resists the growth of mold per ASTM D3273 with a score of 10, the best possible score.
- Resists the growth of mold per ASTM G21 with a score of 0, the best possible score.
- Fire-resistant material with a gypsum core will not support combustion or transmit temperatures greatly in excess of 212°F (100°C) until completely calcined, a slow process.
- Easily scored and snapped to exact size without sawing.
- Dimensionally stable product with negligible expansion and contraction under normal atmospheric conditions.
- Features GridMarX® guide marks on the board to allow for faster and more accurate installation.
- Achieves GREENGUARD and GREENGUARD Gold Certification. GREENGUARD Certified products are certified to GREENGUARD standards for low chemical emissions into indoor air during product usage. For more information, visit: ul.com.
- Qualifies as a low-VOC emitting material by meeting California Specification 01350. For more information, visit: calrecycle.ca.gov
Gold Bond® SoundBreak XP Retrofit® Board has achieved GREENGUARD Gold Certification.
Products that suit any project criteria
Acoustical, Drywall Panels
Frequently Asked Questions
Ready to answer your product and installation questions
A demising wall application – walls with no penetrations such as windows or doors.
No, 5/16" panels are not permitted for ceiling applications.
No, screws are required to ensure adequate bond to existing surface.
No, it is intended to be installed with both adhesive and fasteners.
No, vertical application provides superior acoustical performance.
Yes, SoundBreak XP Retrofit Board must cover entire wall surface.
No, all adhesives complying with ASTM C557 are acceptable.
No, SoundBreak XP Retrofit Board is intended to be installed over an existing gypsum board wall in order to achieve optimal acoustical performance.
Refer to the sticker located on the back of the board. The PURPLE® face should be visible to the installer once the installation is complete.
SoundBreak XP Retrofit® can be cut using a standard utility knife. Power tools should not be used for cutting, because the polymer can damage the blade.
Yes, it can be finished and decorated with standard drywall finishing products.
Designs & Resources
Browse our digital library of tools, resources, and service options to support your team.Learn More
Gold Bond experts are ready to discuss project and product needs to meet your goals.Expert Connection
Need Technical Information?
National Gypsum Company is the exclusive service provider for products manufactured by Gold Bond Building Products, LLC.