Sound Control Without the Demolition
Improve the acoustical performance of an existing wall assembly
Gold Bond® SoundBreak XP Retrofit® Board consists of a high-density mold-, mildew- and moisture-resistant gypsum board with specially designed PURPLE paper on the front and a sound- damping, viscoelastic polymer adhered to the back paper. This acoustically enhanced, fire-resistance gypsum board is encased in heavy paper that is 100-percent recycled on both sides and offers superior abrasion, mold-, mildew- and moisture-resistance.
- Use SoundBreak XP Retrofit to improve the acoustical performance of an existing wall assembly, and to achieve a higher Sound Transmission Class (STC) rating for existing interior gypsum board walls where sound transmission has become a concern.
- Install 5/16 in. (7.9 mm) thick SoundBreak XP Retrofit over existing interior gypsum board walls in residential, multifamily and commercial applications for additional sound damping between rooms or dwelling units.
Reduces Sound Transmission
- When installing over an existing interior wall assembly, SoundBreak XP Retrofit enhances Sound Transmission Class (STC) values per an independent third-party acoustical laboratory using ASTM E90 test procedures.
- Achieves increased STC values in a thinner wall assembly, increasing usable floor space.
- Superior sound damping, cost-efficient material that finishes easily and decorates in the same manner as standard gypsum board.
Works for Interior Projects
- Heavy abrasion-resistant paper and dense core provide greater resistance to surface abuse when tested in accordance with ASTM C1629.
- Fire-resistant material with a gypsum core will not support combustion or transmit temperatures greatly in excess of 212°F (100°C) until completely calcined, a slow process.
Installs Fast and Easy
- For speed of installation and lower installation costs, vertical board joints do not require acoustical sealant.
- Features GridMarX® guide marks on the board to allow for faster and more accurate installation.
- Easily scored and snapped to exact size without sawing.
Inhibits Mold Growth
- Helps inhibit mold growth with the highest possible score on mold tests (ASTM D3273 and ASTM G21).
- Features Sporgard® technology with extra mold-inhibiting properties.
Resists Moisture Better
- Fights the effects of moisture before damage can occur.
- Dimensionally stable product with negligible expansion and contraction under normal atmospheric conditions.
- Qualifies as a low-VOC emitting material by meeting California Specification 01350. For more information, visit: calrecycle.ca.gov
Products that suit any project criteria
Acoustical, Drywall Panels
Product details and technical documentation.
Tips & Tools
Helpful resources for your next project
Frequently Asked Questions
Ready to answer your product and installation questions
What is the ideal wall application for SoundBreak XP Retrofit® Board?
A demising wall application – walls with no penetrations such as windows or doors.
Can I use SoundBreak XP Retrofit Board on the ceiling?
No, 5/16" panels are not permitted for ceiling applications.
Can I use nails instead of screws?
No, screws are required to ensure adequate bond to existing surface.
Can I use adhesive without fasteners?
No, it is intended to be installed with both adhesive and fasteners.
Can SoundBreak XP Retrofit Board be installed horizontally?
No, vertical application provides superior acoustical performance.
Do I have to remove wall moldings prior to installing SoundBreak XP Retrofit Board?
Yes, SoundBreak XP Retrofit Board must cover entire wall surface.
Do I have to use a specific adhesive brand?
No, all adhesives complying with ASTM C557 are acceptable.
Can SoundBreak XP Retrofit Board be installed over wood paneling?
No, SoundBreak XP Retrofit Board is intended to be installed over an existing gypsum board wall in order to achieve optimal acoustical performance.
Which side of the SoundBreak XP Retrofit Board faces out?
Refer to the sticker located on the back of the board. The PURPLE® face should be visible to the installer once the installation is complete.
How do I cut SoundBreak XP Retrofit Board?
SoundBreak XP Retrofit® can be cut using a standard utility knife. Power tools should not be used for cutting, because the polymer can damage the blade.
Does SoundBreak XP Retrofit Board finish like standard gypsum board?
Yes, it can be finished and decorated with standard drywall finishing products.
Design & Resource Center
Browse our digital library of tools, resources, and service options to support your team.Learn More
Gold Bond experts are ready to discuss project and product needs to meet your goals.Expert Connection
Need Technical Information?
National Gypsum Company is the exclusive service provider for products manufactured by Gold Bond Building Products, LLC.